Starting the Study Guide:
These are the steps we suggest you follow to get the most out of the study guides.
For these examples, we are using the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (160) V2 study guide. All of the study guides follow the same flow.
1. Get your Plan to Pass - All users should start by completing the Plan to Pass to generate their personalized study plan. This plan will help structure your studies and focus your preparation.
Your Plan to Pass test is found inside the study guide in the upper right corner. Click the orange "Plan to Pass" button.
Begin answering the questions to make progress toward unlocking your study plan. The test contains questions from each concept within the guide. Above each question, you will see the corresponding concept that the question is tied to. In the screenshot below, you can see this question is a part of the “Place Value” concept.
Your performance in each concept will be compared to the weight of that concept on the real exam. You will notice that as you answer questions the study priority of the concepts will be re-ordered to reflect which concepts you should focus on the most and in what order. Once you have answered at least one question from each concept, you are able to unlock your study plan.
To create an even more personalized plan, continue answering questions until you finish. Once finished, you can click on the concepts to the left to begin studying. We recommend that you start with your highest priority concept at the top and work your way down. You can revisit your study plan as needed throughout your preparation.
2. Begin working through the concept modules:
- Complete the Concept Modules for each section. All of these must be completed.
- Each Concept Module includes different sections. For example, the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (160) study guide has three modules.
- Promoting Student Learning
- The Classroom
- Professional Roles and Responsibilities
- Each of the modules is broken down into smaller sections. Under Promoting Student Learning, there are six small content modules to break things down and make them easier to study. As you click on each circle above the material, it will turn blue to show you which section you are currently working in. Completed sections are marked teal.
In this example, the section Learning Processes is selected, which is a subsection of the content module Promoting Student Learning. 100% of the instructional content, 100% of the flashcards, and 0 quizzes have been completed.
- Once completed, the circles turn teal, and a checkmark appears in the center to show that section has been finished. The blue inner circle indicates which section is selected for use.
- You must score 70% or higher to pass a quiz in order for it to count towards your overall study progress. On each quiz, choose your answer. Each answer provides explanations for the correct and incorrect choices. Read ALL of the explanations as this is where much of your learning will be solidified. Do not leave questions unanswered. You can review the quiz after you complete it, and you take it as many times as you wish.
- For each set of flashcards, read them carefully and note any new or confusing facts and terms.
- Example of how to navigate the Flashcards
3. Complete a full-length Practice Test - Completing 95% or more of the study guide unlocks the 3 full-length Practice Tests. The Practice Tests qualify you for the 240 Tutoring Guarantee. They are also the best way for you to gauge how ready you are to take your exam. The practice tests mimic the exam in length and format.
You will need a large chunk of time to complete the Practice Test so please plan appropriately.
You must complete the Practice Test in one sitting.
The test is timed to mimic the real testing environment, and once you start the exam, it cannot be paused. There is a timer in the upper corner that will show how much time is remaining. Make sure you have the time to dedicate to it and that you are on a strong Internet connection. Your full-length Practice Test is not accessible until you have completed at least 95% of the study guide. We cannot unlock the Practice Test for you. If you have not completed the required study guide content, you will need to finish the study material so the Practice Test will unlock.
If you begin your Practice Test and stop mid-way, your test cannot be cleared or reset.
The practice test button is located at the bottom of your study guide. The highest score achieved in the two completed practice tests is displayed.
When you click on Take Test, the following windows will pop up. If you are not ready to complete the entire practice test in one sitting, then you have the option to select I'm not ready and go back to your course. Selecting Continue or Skip will start your practice test attempt.
You will not see the answers to the Practice Test after completing the first two attempts. You must take all three test attempts to review your missed questions and the provided answers and explanations. The answers are only shown after the third attempt.
At this point, you should have completed the study guide and taken your first Practice Test. You are well on your way to passing your exam!
Here are a few more pointers for you:
- If you aren’t happy with your Practice Test score - we recommend a minimum score of 80% - then utilize the study guide to improve it.
- Re-read the instructional content and take notes on anything that you aren’t sure about
- Transcribe the flashcards to help memorize the information
- Once you’ve reviewed the study guide, take another Practice Test.
- If you are a student, reach out to your professors for any additional help they can provide to help you to better understand the material.
- Check to see if your program has in-person tutoring available to you.
If you have questions about your account you can always reach out to us by email: email@example.com